Each year, Gartner, the world’s leading research and advisory company, publishes their well-known Magic Quadrant. Less known is the accompanying Critical Capabilities report which focuses solely on the functionality of vendor products. In their 2019 report for Analytics and Business Intelligence (BI) platforms, MicroStrategy 2019 received top marks in four out of six use cases! Moreover, it received excellent or outstanding scores for 12 of the 15 evaluated capabilities, repeating their amazing performance of last year.
As a proud MicroStrategy partner, we couldn’t be happier with these marks. Seeing as they leave 19 competitors to bite the dust, we thought it was time to have a look at what Gartner considers to be the strengths of MicroStrategy and which scenarios it shines in. After all, data is here to stay. Making an informed choice about which platform you’ll use to process all that digital gold can save you some headaches in the long run! Have you already figured out what the way to go is for you?
The Critical Capabilities report looks at, well, the product capabilities. The research evaluates 15 aspects of analytics and BI platforms and uses scores to judge how well software would perform in six uses cases. For 12 of these 15 capabilities, MicroStrategy achieved excellent or outstanding scores. They received outstanding marks (more than or equal to 4.5 out of 5) for administration, security and architecture; data source connectivity; data storage and loading options; metadata management; scalability and model complexity; advanced analytics for CDSs; interactive visualization; mobile exploration and authoring; and embedded BI.
Excellent marks fall between 4 and 4.5 out of 5, which were adjudged to MicroStrategy for data preparation; analytic dashboard; and ease of use, visual appeal and workflow.
If you’re looking for agile, centralized BI provisioning, governed data discovery, OEM or embedded BI and extranet deployment, then MicroStrategy is your best bet according to Gartner’s report. Coming in at second place for decentralized analytics, MicroStrategy again proves to be great choice. The vendor therefore leaves big household names such as Microsoft, Salesforce, Tableau and Qlik lagging behind in these categories. And if you want to get nitty-gritty on the numbers, here are the top scores awarded for the product:
- Agile, centralized BI provisioning: 4.43 out of 5
- Governed data discovery: 4.24 out of 5
- OEM or embedded BI: 4.64 out of 5
- Extranet deployment: 4.38 out of 5
- Decentralized analytics: 4.23 out of 5
For the final category of augmented analytics, MicroStrategy landed a top-10 spot.
The analytics industry is at a crossroads. While self-service analytics is all the rage, most of those tools lack robust data governance capabilities. Traditional BI applications, on the other hand, cop out on features that support modern business use cases. At Agiliz, we’re convinced of the power of MicroStrategy 2019 and its ability to combine these two. But when we boil down all these scores, what are the strengths of the tool according to Gartner?
- Versatile: with the highest product scores of any vendor, both overall and for the evaluated use cases, the advisory company considers MicroStrategy to have a strong, integrated product for all use cases.
- Innovation: quoted as an early innovator, MicroStrategy sports unique capabilities such as proximity-based insights which can help in a sales or predictive maintenance scenarios. Gartner also mentions that the platform has ‘some of the most comprehensive, highly rated and widely adopted capabilities.’
- Embedded and in-context analytics: the biggest plus here is HyperIntelligence, which can surface insights from previously authored HyperCards embedded in MicroStrategy and other browser-based apps.
- Open to other front-end tools: give users freedom which tool to use or don’t lose on current investments. Front-end tools such as Tableau, Power BI and Qlik can connect to MicroStrategy’s knowledge semantic graph via new REST APIs, allowing a MicroStrategy-centric approach to governance in multitool environments.
Previous Gartner statistics show that MicroStrategy’s market share in BI platforms has been growing. This report proves that there’s a reason for that. At Agiliz, we’ve been helping customers gain valuable insights for years with this amazing software package. Eager to find out for yourself what all the fuss is about? Head on over to the Agiliz website and download the full version of MicroStrategy Desktop, part of the larger MicroStrategy suite, for free and try it out yourself.
Want to see the full MicroStrategy suite in action? We’re more than happy to show you. Contact us now for a demo.